Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches

1 package Carne Asada steak chopped (usually about $6 in the fresh meat coolers I split it and use half for another dinner)
large hoagie rolls
1/2 sliced onion
1/2 each sliced red and green pepper
squirt of Ranch dressing
mozarella cheese slices

Stir fry onion and peppers in oil. Add steak and Ranch and cook until steak is browned. Pile onto rolls and add cheese.

6 comments:

Davis Family said...

I made these for dinner tonight and they were a hit! It's such a QUICK, easy, yummy recipe. Jeremy put it on the "definetly have again" list. Thanks Meg. Oh and I asked the guy at the meat counter for carne asada and he said that just means meat so I told him I was making philly cheese steak sandwiches and he directed me toward some very thinly sliced steaks. It cost me about 2 bucks for a 1/2 pound. Meg- do you know if the meat man knew what he was talking about or is carne asada a special kind of meat?

Rachel said...

I am making these tonight and I am really excited about it! Kelli - I also couldn't find "carne asada" meat, I asked the meat guys about it, and they all said they had never heard of it. They also pointed out some really thin steaks for me to use.

Erick and Megan said...

I'm so sorry I never answered your Philly Cheese Steak questions! I hope I didn't ruin any dinner plans! I asked Erick (the Spanish speaker) what Carne Asada means and he said it just means grilled meat! I thought it would be something fancier! The only reason I picked that meat was because I was making some Thai food and I needed thin steak. So just look for any thin steak and that should work. I used to use actual beef (or pastrami in a pinch)lunch meat until I found the steak and it worked fine too, just not as yummy. I do use the lunch meat packages for French Dip sandwiches and that is great. (Just get a package of Au Jus-boil and put in a package of lunch meat!) Hope this helps!

Rachel said...

okay, so I made these and thought they were o.k. My husband didn't like how the meat was "chewy" (he's very picky so it could just be a Del thing...) Any suggestions on how to make it so the meat is more tender?

Tami said...

Rachel- We use Steak-Umms for our Philly's they cook up really fast and are really tender. We don't ever add any seasoning because they are pre seasoned. Just add your grilled peppers and onions and melt your cheese on top. Then place on your bun of choice and enjoy.

Davis Family said...

I made these again tonight and we just love them! Thanks Meg! We are pinching pennies for groceries here in California so this time I picked up a large steak (I wish I remembered what is was called) because it was much cheaper. It was a few pounds so I froze some of the meat for a future date. I cut the meat I did use into thin slices and marinated it in 3 tsp beef boullion, 1/2 cup water, 3 minced garlic cloves and some black pepper. I let it marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours prior to cooking. It really added some yummy flavor to the meat! I saw this marinade on another blog's recipe for philly cheese steak wraps.
Thanks for the recipe Meg- I love that I can chop up the peppers and onions and have enough leftover meat and veggies for fajitas later in the week!