Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork -SOOOO GOOD!

I tried this one on Sunday and it was a huge hit! Cafe Rio is a restaurant in Utah that all our friends rave about. My friend gave me this "copy-cat" recipe.

PORK:
5-6 pounds of pork (any type is fine, I just bought whatever cut was cheapest. I bought 4 pounds and it made a ton so I'm sure even like 3 pounds would be fine.)
3 8-oz cans of tomato sauce
2 cans of El Pato (its in a tiny yellow can in the ethnic food isle. It might be hard to find, some of the stores here have it and some don't. It's a really spicy sauce.)
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup water

Put in crockpot on low the afternoon or night before, let cook. A few hours before serving, take pork out and shred it, then put back in with the juice.

DRESSING: (this is what makes it so tasty!!)
1 cup mayo
1/2 bunch of cilanto
juice of 1 lime
2 tomatillos (the green tomatoes with a husk)
1 packet buttermilk ranch dressing mix

blend in blender

HOW TO SERVE:
I served it like a burrito. I kinda grilled my tortillas in the frying pan for a minute or two so they are browned and a little crunchy, and I put the a little cheese on the tortilla so it melts while it is grilling. Then just add the meat, lettuce, tomatoes and the dressing and eat! It's really juicy so make sure you have a napkin! Del couldn't stop eating it, he ate it for three days straight, which is saying quite a bit since he usually doesn't like leftovers. Let me know if you try it and what you think!

0 comments: