Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Stuffed Zuchinni

Our friends gave us a GIGANTIC zucchini from their garden and I wasn't in the mood for zucchini bread. She told me to try making stuffed zucchini (which I had never had before). I didn't have a recipe for it so I concocted up a recipe on my own. You heard right, I made this recipe on my own...that NEVER happens! I think it turned out really good. I will add a picture as soon as I get my recent photos uploaded.

1 large zucchini cut in half lengthwise
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/4 pound lean hot Italian turkey sausage
1/2 large white onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup beef broth
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (the real stuff, not in a can)
1 tsp chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk

Remove seeds from zucchini and throw away. Scoop out the rest of the zucchini leaving about a half of an inch as a shell. Chop up the zucchini that you scooped out.

Preheat oven to 350

In a large skillet brown hamburger, sausage, onions and garlic. Drain fat, remove from pan and set aside. In the same skillet add green pepper, mushrooms, chopped zucchini and broth. Let simmer until veggies start to become tender. Add the cooked meat mixture back to the pan. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for a few minutes. Spoon mixture into hollowed out zucchini and bake in oven for about 45 minutes or until the zucchini shell is tender. Cover with foil 3/4 of the way through so as not to over brown the stuffing. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and stick it back in the oven for a couple of minutes. Heat cream of mushroom soup. Top with heated cream of mushroom soup.

0 comments: