Monday, August 20, 2007

Chicken Crescents (that I stole from Mandy)

This is me and Jeremy's all time favorite. But I can't take all the credit- I learned about them in college when Mandy made them for Jeremy and almost stole my boyfriend...good thing I learned how to make them so that he would still marry me!!!

Chicken Crescents

Ingredients:
1 full boneless skinless chicken breast (or 2 halves), cooked and cut or shredded into bite size pieces
1 package of cream cheese, softened
2 green onions, chopped
garlic powder to taste
2 cans of refrigerated crescent roll dough (or if you are feeling ambitious you can make your own favorite bread dough)
bread crumbs (herb seasoned bread crumbs are yummy with this recipe, but you can use plain as well)
butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream OR 1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together chicken, softened cream cheese, green onions and garlic powder and set aside. Melt butter in bowl and set aside. Pour bread crumbs into a separate bowl and set aside. Separate crescent rolls. Place one large spoonful of chicken mixture in center of each crescent roll. Fold up corners of dough to cover the filling and seal the edges securely by pinching the dough together until none of the chicken mixture is showing (the dough should be in the shape of a ball with the chicken mixture inside.) Roll the chicken crescents in melted butter and then roll in bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet that has been covered with non fat cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown- watch closely! Heat cream of chicken soup and sour cream OR milk over low to medium heat and stir frequently. Pour over baked chicken crescents and serve hot!
Makes 16 crescent rolls….you can’t just have one!

To make this recipe a little healthier I use:
1/3 less fat cream cheese
Reduced fat crescent rolls
Smart Balance butter
Healthy Request (low fat and low sodium) Cream of Chicken
Light sour cream

3 comments:

Erick and Megan said...

This is much fancier and yummier sounding than the ones I make! I just use a sour cream/canned chicken mixture and put it inside pizza dough. I'll have to try yours/Mandy's!
love, Megan

Leslie Pond said...

This sounds so yummy. I have to run to the store to get the crescent rolls and we're set.

Leslie Pond said...

So I tried these last night and they were a hit. Emily kept saying that I'm a good "maker". Meaning that I Make the food. Really quick and easy. Love it!