Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tilapia Amandine



Well, I took matters into my own hands and tried a new fish recipe. I got it from the little recipe cards that you can pick up in Walmart near the fish, produce, meat, etc. We actually really liked it! YIPEE, I cooked fish and it wasn't disgusting! I even took a picture of it because I thought it looked pretty and I decided that our blog neaded some color...it's looking a little drab these days.

Tilapia Amandine (from Walmart recipe card)
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 12 minutes Serves:4
Ingredients:
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup unsifted flour
2 tsp. lemon peel (grated, aka zest)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
4 (6 oz.) tilapia fillets (thaw, if frozen)
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup sliced green onions
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Lemon slices and parsley sprigs (optional)

Directions:
1.In a shallow plate, combine egg and milk. In second shallow plate, combine flour, lemon peel, salt and paprika. Coat tilapia fillets in egg mixture, then coat evenly with flour mixture. Place on plate lined with wax paper. Cover and chill at least 15 minute. (I skipped that step, oops)
2.Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add oil to coat pan. Add fillets and cook about 4 minutes on each side until golden, crisp and fish flakes with a fork. Remove fish and keep warm. ***I suggest adding another tablespoon of oil to the pan after flipping the fish in order to get it golden crisp on both sides***
3.Wipe out skillet and add butter. Add almonds to skillet and cook until golden, stirring often. Stir in green onions and lemon juice. Heat, stirring. Serve sauce over tilapia fillets. ***I suggest sprinkling each fish with salt and drizzling with a little lemon juice prior to topping it with the sauce***
4.If desired, garnish with lemon slices and parsley sprigs (...yeah right :)
***I served this over rice and it was a nice combo***

0 comments: