Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Healthy Meals for Babies and Toddlers

Okay so maybe it's kind of obvious that I'm a little bit of a health nut... :) I just can't help it! This is no exception when it comes to feeding my little one. I believe it is so important for our children to establish healthy eating habits. Now don't go thinking that I'm fanatical about this... a cookie, a potato chip an icecream never hurt anyone (infact, in my opinion life would be a lot less exciting without those things!) But I do believe that the majority of the time we should be providing our bodies with the healthy nutrients it needs. Blah, blah, blah.

The reason for this post is for all of us to share our baby and toddler meal ideas, because let's face it--feeding a kid is NOT easy! For some crazy reason they think Goldfish crackers taste better than brocolli. :)

I have come up with some CRAZY ways to make sure Kaylie is getting a well balanced diet. You'll probably think some of my ideas sound disgusting, but they work for me! Please post your ideas for healthy snacks, meals and ways you get your child to eat them. Also include your child's age. Please label these: Meals for Children.

Keep in mind that my daughter is 16 months old.

Scrambled Eggs with Spinach
1 egg, beaten
1/8 cup frozen spinach
palmful of your favorite cheese

Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Add spinach. Cook until spinach is thawed and heated through. Add egg and cheese. Fry until egg is cooked and no longer runny.

Vitamin A Burgers
This recipe makes about 8 minituare burgers. I put the remaining burgers in a ziploc back and freeze them for a quick addition to a meal in the future.
1/4 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1/4 cup cooked squash (I cook my squash, mash it a little and freeze it in icecube trays- for this recipe I usually thaw out one cube)
1 Tbsp Seasoned bread crumbs- I use italian breadcrumbs
a little garlic powder (not garlic salt)
a little black pepper
small slices of your favorite cheese

In a bowl, mix together meat, squash, bread crumbs and seasonings. Form into small little patties. Cook in covered frying pan over medium heat until no longer pink. Add a slice of cheese on top of each pattie during the last few minutes of cooking.

Pinto Beans and Cheese
Mix pinto beans with a handful of mozzerella cheese and microwave. While waiting for it too cool, form little bean and cheese balls (basically make sure the cheese is covering the beans so that your child doesn't see it...haha)

Chick peas and Parmesan
Heat chick peas in microwave. Prior to serving sprinkle with grated parmasen cheese (the stuff in the can) so that the chick peas are "dusted" with the cheese

ARE YOU GETTING THE IDEA THAT KAYLIE WILL EAT ANYTHING THAT HAS CHEESE ON IT???? :)

Other snacks that Kaylie LOVES:
Shelled soy beans (aka Edamame- find it next to the frozen vegetables)
Avocado chunks
Applesauce
Yogurt
String Cheese
Strawberries dipped in yogurt
Canteloupe, grapes, pears, watermelon, blueberries, raspberries, bananas
Anything off of my plate...better make sure I'm eating healthy stuff too!

I'm finding that if I give Kaylie a little more independence she will eat better. For example if her food is in a bowl rather than just on her tray she will eat more of it.

3 comments:

Davis Family said...

Hey girls! I've added a new idea for our blog....check it out. Thanks for all of your yummy recipes....keep them coming!

Evans Family said...

I think you're doing great Kelli! What I have found though is that kids will eat what they want when they want. Maddi will go days with hardly eating anything and then eat really well, so don't worry too much. :) I love some of your ideas...I have to try them. A little trick I have sometimes found if she wants what I have on my plate even though its the same she has...I'll put her food on my plate first and then on hers...she thinks it great. (Unfortunately she's starting to figure it out) ha ha

Erick and Megan said...

These are great ideas! I want to try the mini burgers! I don't have any really great ideas but I will think of some!