Friday, February 19, 2010

Cream of Chicken Wild Rice Soup

This is one of those soups that I had years ago and knew I would never be able to forget so I immediatly copied down the recipe. This recipe comes from Aubrey's Grandma. We had this at Aubrey's first baby shower more than 5 years ago when we were living in Rexburg. It is so yummy! Pair this with Shellee's Healthy Wheat Bread-you will not be dissapointed!

Cream of Chicken Wild Rice Soup
From Aubrey’s Grandma, but adapted by me

½ cup uncooked wild rice
½ cup uncooked white rice (optional)
¼ cup butter
3 lg garlic cloves, minced
I medium onion or, chopped (I hate it when recipes call for a size of onion rather than a measurement- I use about ½ of an average sized onion
2 carrots, finely diced
½ cup flour
5 cups chicken stock
1 whole chicken breast (that’s 2 breast halves- you don’t usually buy the whole breast)
¼ tsp thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp nutmeg
Minced parsley (optional)
Minced chives (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
6 stalks asparagus, angle cut
2 cups fat free or regular half and half
Milk to make consistency you desire

Prepare rice as directed on package. I also cook ½ cup of white rice to add to the soup.
In large saucepan melt butter, saute garlic and onion until tender (let the onions cook down for a long time- about 10 minutes). Add carrots and cook until tender. Mix in the flour and cook over low heat for approx 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Slowly pour in the chicken stock using a wire whisk to blend until smooth. Add the chicken and seasonings. Let simmer until chicken is about half way done. Add the asparagus. Continue simmering until chicken is cooked through. Take chicken out and shred. Put back into the soup. Slowly add half and half. Simmer until warm. Fold in prepared rice. Use milk to thin to the consistency that you desire (I never have to do this because we like it creamy).

**If you don’t have wild rice you can cook 1 cup of white rice to substitute. However, I highly recommend using the wild rice in addition to the white rice.

0 comments: