Key Lime Meringue Pie
I was soooo excited about my first pie ever that I had to take a picture!! (I used a pre made crust so I'm not that cool...oh well.) This pie is delicious and it really wasn't that hard to make!
Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp grated key lime zest
2/3 kup key lime juice
4 egg yolks
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 prebaked 9 inch pie shell (I bought a frozen one and then prebaked according to directions on package)
Meringue:
4 egg whites at room temp
1/4 tsp cram of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1 pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325. In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the water, lime zest and juice. Whisk in the yolds and add the butter. Cook mixture over low heat, stirring constantly. (this part takes a long time...I personally don't think it's a big deal to turn up the heat a little). Once it starts to thicken, simmer for 1 more minute and strain into the prebaked pie shell (I didn't strain..again not a big deal).
Meringue: In a clean large bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they form soft peaks. Whisk in the sugar and beat until the whites are gloss and firm but not dry. Stir in the salt and vanilla. Gently spread the meringue over the custard, making sure it touches the edge of the pie crust and covers all of the custard (this is important). Bake for 25 minutes until the meringue is golden brown---watch closely because mine only took about half of this time to brown. Let cool for 1/2 hour before serving. I chilled mine.
3 comments:
Way to go Chef Kelli!!! That looks soooo good! I made my first homemade banana cream pie this summer crust and all. That was my first pie period. The crust was super easy so call me if you need the support when you get the courage to try it. People make it so much harder than it is. The trick to a good flaky crust is to not mess with it at all. Just mix it and leave it alone.
ok Kel...I made it! It was SO tart! I think next time, I will use JUST lime out of the bottle, not freshed squeezed, it was a little much, but DEFINATLY a great pie! The Meringue was so yummy!
shel-
I'm so sorry that it turned out so tart...that's weird because mine came out more sweet than sour. I think it must really depend on the limes which is kind of a gamble so maybe the squeezy bottle is the best bet...i'll do the same. Glad your meringue turned out :)
Post a Comment