Friday, October 26, 2007

Cheesy Potato Soup

I love hot soup on a cold fall day. Here's one of my childhood favorites. Emily loves this soup.

4 med. potatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 qt water (4 cups)
1/4 C. butter
4 Tbl. flour
1/2 C. milk
1 1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. season salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper
chopped chives

Combine potatoes, onion and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender. (20 min.) In skillet, melt butter; add flour; cook and stir untill bubbles. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and return to heat. Cook and stir until thickened. Stir mixture into potatoes; cook and stir until thick. Add cheese and seasonings. Serve topped with chives. Make sure that after you add the cheese you do not bring back to a boil. I add bacon or ham and you can use a palm full of dried onion if you don't have a fresh one on hand. I love serving this in a bread bowl. Yummy! Enjoy!

3 comments:

Naylor Family said...

Cold fall days??? WHAT'S THAT? It was 97 here today! It's Pathedic! I don't think it's ever going to cool down. We're never going to get a break!

Davis Family said...

This soup is yummy! Thanks for the recipe. We loved it- definetly comfort food.

Tami said...

I have been looking for a recipe for this. My mom always made it growing up, but she never used a recipe so I have never been able to duplicate it. I can't wait to try yours.